Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Monday 17th October 9pm in the Jungle

One of the walk ways around the lodge
A local enjoying a meal
In the local village

The port where we got on the canoe
The other canoe going up the Amazon river
The lodges- mine was the one on the left

Well, this is the best and the worst I have felt yet. Let me start at the beginning.


Up at 6.30am to be ready to leave the hotel by 7.30am. Arrived at the Airport and checked in fine.


While I am writing this I have your picture out and cannot stop looking at it. I Love you.


Our flight to Cuzco was good but being so high altitude we were flying pretty close to some really big mountains, we even saw snow caps on the Andie's. We landed fine, although the decent into Cuzco is straight down practically as it is in a little valley surrounded by mountains.


Now, we stayed on the plane while others got on at Cuzco to fly to the jungle also. It is a half hour flight. This is where the fun begins or should I say utter fear.


To fly into the jungle we actually fly lower than the mountains around us, it was storming outside, electrical storm. We started to circle to see if it would ease. You see the airport we were landing at did not have sufficient lighting to see us come in. So here we are circling around the mountains. Every time there was call over the PA, we ha to watch the reactions of the locals as they were talking in Spanish and said it in broken English second. Thankfully there was no dread on any faces. Well, the fuel started to get low so we had to fly back to Cuzco to refuel and hopefully the storm would pass.


This was pretty nerve racking as they were not telling us what was going on. WE got back to Cuzco and within 20mins left for the jungle again, still not knowing if we could land. By this time was quietly hyper ventilating.


I could get lost in your eyes- just looking at your picture again.


We ended up landing the second time- thank God.


I would be calling you right now if there was a phone. But there is not. So I will not be talking to you until Wednesday.


Anyway, this place is magic. After half n hour on an open air bus. Dropping our luggage off at a locked garage beside a muddy roadside. Getting into a canoe with 40 other people for a one and a half hour ride up the river. We finally arrived at the lodge.


I cant describe how great it is. You will have to see the photos. We had a great dinner although I have had a headache since the plane flight. We went out on a canoe spotting Caiman tonight then drifted back without the motor on just listening to the jungle- Amazing.


Now I am in our bungalow trying to write as much as I can before 10pm because the lights go out till 5.30am the next morning.


The jungle sounds great. It took alot to get here but now that we are here it is worth it.


I miss you so badly- earlier today I just felt this overwhelming rush of missing you, I would have come there and then. It was such a strong feeling- I got a bit teary.


Good part is, we are not past the .4 only 3 weeks to go.


I am going to look through our photos now before lights out.


I Love you- I miss you endlessly- Forever yours FMM

No comments: